Friday, April 04, 2008

I Do Not Care Why

I do not care why.

When I look for the online version of Cell in our catalog (journal title), it's entry number 30.

Searching for Scientific American online by title -- number 76.

Philosophy (online) is entry number SIX HUNDRED AND FORTY ONE. (search by journal title)

I don't care about the cataloging rules. I don't care about the serials solutions load. I don't care. All I know is that people choose google and Amazon over the library catalog for good reason -- it's almost impossible to find things in our OPAC.

I gave a talk about how difficult it was to find PRINT serials in the OPAC at ALA in Miami in 1994 - almost fifteen years ago. I feel like I'm in clip from "Ground Hog Day".... The journals are online, but it's still just as hard to find them in the catalog.

2 comments:

Eileen Daly-Boas said...

This is exactly the reason that OPACs suck. I think we need to demand of our catalog providers (Endeavor) that they produce a product we like that serves our needs. They haven't been pushed to do it, and won't do it unless libraries require it.

Kathy McG. said...

I don't know what we'd (I'd) do without Jeff's eJournals list. I tell grad students to start with eJournals and if their journal's not there go directly to ILL unless they're here and need an article right away. And now I can tell undergrads the same thing!