Monday, September 24, 2007

Sunday Afternoon at the Reference Desk

What can I conclude from my afternoon at the reference desk?

  1. I really, really need better signs for the bathrooms.
  2. Students expect the reserve desk and the reference desk to offer the same services. (i.e. laptop locks, markers, reserve books)
  3. Why oh why are there problems with the copiers every, single day? If this was a car, I'd demand my money back.

Questions between 1 and 5 p.m.

  • Where is the bathroom?
  • Can I borrow a pen?
  • Do you have a scanner?
  • Do you have laptop locks?
  • Apparently she can't wait... Can you watch my computer while I run to the bathroom?
  • Beep. Beep. (no money on copy card). (I give student the departmental card to use.)
  • Copier is out of paper. (No, really just a meaningless error message. Student is amazed I get the copier to work.)
  • Where is the bathroom?
  • Are there markers for the white boards?
  • Do you have the solutions manual for (the genetics textbook)?
  • *** no, reference questions ***

1 comment:

circulating said...

"Why oh why are there problems with the copiers every, single day? If this was a car, I'd demand my money back."

sighs... I know.... I know...!! what is the deal with public copy machines...??

Some days it seems like all we do is fiddle with the blame things...