Monday, September 21, 2009

Excuses to Email my Advisees

Rereading the title of this entry, makes me think that maybe I have created my own problem... I feel weird/creepy/over protective emailing my advisees very often. Probably they would just ignore my email if I sent too many.... Instead I'm come up with a "reason" to send them an email. At the beginning of every semester, I look up the syllabus of the big, survey classes - bio, chem, econ, etc - and put the exam dates on my calendar. Then I have a justified excuse (at least in my mind) to send them an email before/after the exam. I also know when to expect a flurry of correspondence, i.e. after the first bio and chem exams of fall semester.

2 comments:

lisel said...

My advisor was always available and checked in with me through email like you are describing, and it was probably what got me through my first semester at St. Bonaventure. He made me feel like someone had an eye on me and was rooting for me; that I didn't just disappear into the crowd. It also made him way more approachable when I needed help with something or if I had made a mistake. I'm sure your students are far less weirded out by your emails than you worry and are happy to have someone available to help them navigate college.

practical katie said...

Lisel,
Well if that isn't the sweetest comment I have ever received! Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm off right this minute for another round of emails!! thanks. Katie